1.00 charge for every Uber transaction

robynsmith
Contributor
Contributor
Hey! Since mid-May 2017, PayPal has been authorizing 1.00 charges to my account every single time that I use Uber (which is roughly every business day). I know that there is often an auth charge when first giving CC details or updating that information, but there shouldn't be a charge for every transaction. What is going on, because your app is also stopping me from disputing these 1.00 amounts and I did not approve them.
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

auth charge should reverse ,if you use your credit card everytime,it will do the same.

it is a way to find out your card is any good,it happens every time you use the card.

if you dont like it,do not use paypal or card.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

understand how credit card works and how authorisiation works ,you approve author when you whip out the card and attempt to use it,

never heard of anyone disputing $1 author charge,if you dont have $1,dont use it.

Login to Me Too

robynsmith
Contributor
Contributor
I very much understand how an authorization charge works. When you sign up with a new vendor, your card is temporarily charged to verify its status. The issue is that PayPal is charging 1.00 every single day for an app and card that has already been authorized. If you're an official advisor for Paypal, I don't think theyd appreciate you telling clients to stop using their service.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Typically each credit card payment request is preceded by a temporary authorization. 

As long as those temporary authorization charges drop off the system is working as intended.

But, if you don't like the way the sytem works, by all means you should find a different payment method as you are not able to change the security checks in place by PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Shazzadut
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve still got the $1 pre auto on my PayPal account that Uber put on on the 12th Feb. Today is the 21st Feb. and  still not reversed and I have been charged for the Uber fares. That’s too long. I worked for a major card company for many years. I know it’s like a hotel pre auth. But hotels do one pre auth. They don’t do one for every day you stay there or every time you order room service. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

it is not per vendor,it is per transaction.

if you makle 1000 transactions with uber,it would be authorised 1000 times.

if you make 1000 transactions with 1000 different vendors,it would be authorised 1000 times.

but it would drop off,and the actual charge comes in.

you either should stop using paypal or credit card or Uber if it bothers you

Login to Me Too

Madronbelle
New Community Member

@Whac-A-Molewrote:

understand how credit card works and how authorisiation works ,you approve author when you whip out the card and attempt to use it,

never heard of anyone disputing $1 author charge,if you dont have $1,dont use it.

I don't think you understand the problem.  Yes, the $1 should be reversed when the charge ultimately clears, but the problem is that the $1 is not being reversed.  Moreover, there might be several $1 charges on the same day when Uber was used only once.  For example, I was charged my Uber fare on March 25 and then charged $1 four  (4) times that same day.  They think one won't go back and dispute it or even notice it because it is such a small amount.  But one ends up having to dispute it because there is no contacting Uber directly.  It's a matter of principle.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.