PayPal took an eBay dispute that would have worked out and **bleep** me in favor of the buyer

Dtect34
Contributor
Contributor

A bit over a month ago I had an auction of a couple hundred coins most in and under the $100 rang but a couple one in particular sold for almost $3000.00 to a buyer in Italy, I’m in the US. The package was shipped priority and insured but after a month it wasn’t looking good as it spent 21 days in customs and no movmemt. After 30 days I can file a claim and the buyer contacted me to the day. I was prepared to file a claim and called USPS first and they told me it was delivered and tracking hadn’t been updated....they will do it now. Even though it shows he had gotten the package before he contacted me saying that he didn’t I double checked then he sent me a message saying he got the package and it was empty. In a message later that day he said he got the package damaged and degraded with the contents missing and he already complained to the Italian post. I filed an insurance claim with both carriers and he got a message through eBay asking him to confirm and supply details. He didn’t respond but called eBay and they told him the package was insured and he needed to work it out with me. After a couple days I sent him a message when I saw he hadn’t responded to the claim and he said he contacted PayPal and they told him not to do anything until they investigate. I went to PayPal and he filed a dispute claiming he didn’t recieve it. My only options were to refund him or escalate it and provide proof of shipping. He would not confirm the damage so I had to escalate it and show proof. It went on over a week and at one point I had to submit tracking again then it was changed to not as described and I wasn’t sure what I needed to show for that? He said he didn’t get it now it’s not as described? All I could say In response was ask him to provide an image of what he recieved. The next day the case closed in his favor and the amount came out of my account. He never responded to the claim and the package can no longer be examined by the postal service. eBay says it’s not their problem or at least the rep. I got who didn’t seem to understand says it’s not their problem and even though it’s insured through eBay they can’t comfirm damage to the insurer. I called PayPal and I was told not to worry I’m covered under seller protection and he doesn’t know why my balance wasn’t adjusted I should give him 3-5 days and he will take care of it he will get my money back in. At that point I wasn’t worried about it and didn’t pursue my options with the insurance handlers but a week went by and no change. I called pay pal and the person I got told me I wasn’t covered and they shouldn’t have told me I was but I could appeal the decision and show them the shipping weight on the receipt and as long as it shows an empty envelope wasn’t mailed this would be enough proof. I complied and waited again and after another week I got the Same responde “the buyer has shown proof the item wasn’t as described” case closed. Now in a couple days I will have past the time limit to file an insurance claim and the buyer will not respond. They got the coin the money, I’m out shipping and insurance and still liable for eBay’s fees of 10% plus for another $300.00. Neither eBay or PayPal seems to care about their sellers and they are both about to lose a customer, I’m no longer going to sell under the fear that Anyome at any time can just say “I didn’t get it” and either one can take your money and say no problem here’s your refund. PayPal closed the dispute in favor of the buyer with reason “item not recieved” and it’s clearly listed in the user agreement as covered under seller protection. It’s also clearly stated that eBay disputes are to be handled by EBay but they conveniently listed it as an off eBay purchase. Their is no accountability in their customer service and if your lucky enough to get someone with a bit of comprehension their just going to tell you what you want to hear. After seeing the overwhelmingly large number of similar complaints and the Disgraceful amount of negative reviews topping positive at about 1000 to 1 I’m sure I’ll get no wear on my own with them as far as getting my money back. I do believe I have a legal case and I think they may be ripe for a class action suite somthing I’m already discussing with the write people.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dtect34

Maybe edit that a bit, too big a block of text to work through.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dtect34
Contributor
Contributor

Ok In short, an eBay buyer from another country purchased a $3000.00 coin, when it arrived he called eBay and told them the package arrived degraded and damaged with the contents missing. eBay told him it was insured just contact the seller. He told me, I started an insurance claim and the insurance company asked him to verify the claim and describe the damage and hold onto the package. He didn’t respond to them and opened a dispute with PayPal claiming he didn’t get the package. After I showed proof of shipping and delivery and almost 2 weeks he changed his claim to not as described. I didn’t know what to make of that or how to respond other then tell him to show an image of what he recieved. The next day the case closed in his favor under reason it says the buyer didn’t recieve the item and they took 3k out of my account. I appealed showed proof it was shipped with the item inside, sent them the emails from eBay with his message stating he complained to the Italian post about the amount of damage to the package and the missing contents. Each time I appeal the next day it’s closed”buyer sent sufficient evidence the item wasn’t as described”. I have called and have been told not to worry they will restore my balance and it was a lie. I’ve called and been told they shouldn’t have told me they would restore my balance and I’ve called and they didn’t want to hear anything nor seemed to understand. I’m done I’ll be writing them one last time then I’m seeking legal action for the loss plus damages etc. yes I agreed to the user agreement but that is only binding until the party you have agreed with becomes incompetent grossly negligent and or grossly mishandles your interests and theirs already legal precedent and a documented history of abuse of its power over others money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.