Americans with Disabilities Act violation, no audio security options for vision impaired

Steve33333
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I believe this is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act because there is no audio option for the multiple new security challenges I've faced this week.   

One is the recaptcha with pictures and no 'get audio challenge' button that other sites' recaptcha challenges have.  (And yes, I know there's supposedly a disabled user cookie to get from somewhere else, but I was unable to navigate that place too.   I'm fine if they just have the 'get audio challenge' option where we can type in the words we hear in a soundbite with interference.) 

The one that stumped me tonight was the 'Text Me' or 'Call Me'.  On other sites, I usually use 'Call Me' and a robot voice tells me the code to enter to finish logging in.  I am able to answer either of my phones with a push button which is handy because I can't see the phone screen.   But when I use 'Call Me' with Paypal, I am expected to type the number that I 'see' on my computer screen (a reader reads it to me) into the phone screen whose buttons I cannot see. 

So the recaptcha, the Text Me, and the Call Me all require either good eyesight or for me to find someone with good eye sight to help me login to a PayPal account that I've had for many years.  Since both of these authentication methods have Audio options EVERYWHERE ELSE...  And Paypal is simply choosing not to provide the same Audio challenge options for Permanent account limitation with apparently no reason 
...oh yeah, I did find alternate ways to reset my password by verifying card number, ssn, or a send me email option etc, and I successfully RESET MY PASSWORD tonight...

...But then it doesn't count me as logged in, and I'm back to the 'Text Me' a code I can't see on my phone, or type a code into my phone screen that I cannot see.   I am using PayPal on the Web (and everything else on the Web) and even a landline phone with actual buttons on it because I can't farking see.

I will try calling the phone number again between whatever and 6pm PST and if a human can't get me into my account after I verify all the stuff again, it'll be freaking lawyer time.  All those lawyers looking for the hamburger that's not as tasty as it looks in the picture should love PayPal suddenly deciding not to let blind people access their farking accounts!!!!!  (I made it this far without typing the whole message in caps...)

PAYPAL YOU ARE BREAKING FEDERAL LAW BY ABRUPTLY BLOCKING BLIND AND VISION IMPAIRED PEOPLE FROM THEIR ACCOUNTS!!!  AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT!! IT'S ALL I DID IN MOCK TRIAL AND I WAS UNDEFEATED.  I COULD JUST GOOGLE UP SOME FORMS, FILE WITH NEAREST FEDERAL COURT, HAVE THEM SERVE YOU AND ALL.  IT'D COST ME HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS AND TAKE SEVERAL MONTHS, BUT MAYBE i COULD GET A ZILLION DOLLARS ON THE PUNITIVE DAMAGE SIDE FOR YOU ALL BEING A-HOLES IF YOU DON'T JUST ENABLE THE AUDIO RECAPTCHA OR THE AUDIO 'CALL ME' CODE-SENDING FEATURE.  WITH MY LUCK, YOU'LL FIX IT THE DAY AFTER I SPEND MONEY OPENING THE DUMB CASE....

Thanks in advance for thinking of the blind and vision impaired people and fixing the freaking recaptcha and call me authentications to give audio options.   And moderator, feel free to just forward this to paypal legal department if you don't want to let it on the community.  Paypal legal will understand and slap Paypal IT for me..

Steve aka JayJayJetPlane on a case that caused AvalonBay to sell my neighborhood and flee.  Other cases I did have NDAs, and other cases I did not have to do because people just fixed the problem...

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Steve33333 

This is a user to user community forum, if you want customer services then...........

https://www.paypal.com/cshelp/article/how-do-i-contact-paypal-customer-service--HELP378

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.