Do we have to buy DigiCert to be able to use paypal?

dennyse13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, What does that mean?

Following DigiCert's direction, PayPal will start using Certificates issued from DigiCert Global Root G2 Chain. We are requesting you to add DigiCert Global Root G2 to truststores that are used to connect to with PayPal. PayPal will begin to use certificates with the Root G2 Chain from October 2024.

Do we have to buy DigiCert to be able to use paypal?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

RedStar311
Contributor
Contributor
Based on how I read it, your current certificates will be fine until they expire. When you renew your SSL certificates you will get what they need.
Login to Me Too

ecoach
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand what the certificate relates to? My personal SSL certificates are all taken care of by my domain host, the sales platform I use has its own SSL certificates

Login to Me Too

dennyse13
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand either what PayPal means by that.
We want to make you aware of recent changes that are relevant for your PayPal account. Your updates are summarised below.
Following DigiCert's direction, PayPal will start using Certificates issued from DigiCert Global Root G2 Chain. We are requesting you to add DigiCert Global Root G2 to truststores that are used to connect to with PayPal. PayPal will begin to use certificates with the Root G2 Chain from October 2024.
More information and required steps can be found here.
https://knowledge.digicert.com/general-information/digicert-root-and-intermediate-ca-certificate-upd...?

Login to Me Too

SubGothius
Contributor
Contributor

That's just a general advisory from PayPal, not any specific issue with your own computer, PayPal account or shopping-cart integration. Most recent browsers and computers/devices from within the past decade or so should automatically have current root certificates.

As far as I can tell, this advisory really only affects super-techy sorts who manage servers, or people using really ancient computers that haven't been updated in forever. If you're using Windows 8.1 or newer (2013-onward), macOS 10.12 "Sierra" or newer (2016-onward), or a smartphone/tablet that's been released or updated in the last 5 years or so, you should be fine.

However, people still running Windows 7 or XP, macOS 10.11 "El Capitan" or earlier, or old smartphones/tablets that haven't been released/updated in the past 5 years or so, may need to update their root certificates manually, or else they may start getting error messages when they try browsing to secure Web sites.

To clarify, digital certificates are part of how your browser encrypts transmission of sensitive information like login/password entries, credit card details, etc. Root certificates are involved in that, as well as validating that a site is who they appear to be, rather than an impostor. Many folks refer to all this as "SSL" though that's technically an outdated term nowadays.

Login to Me Too

lucafr
Contributor
Contributor

If I have a website that uses a Let's Encrypt SSL certificate and uses PayPal as a payment gateway (and all sensitive data is entered exclusively on the PayPal site) do I need to make any changes ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.