Fraud on my bank account

lianeb
Contributor
Contributor

A withdrawal from PayPal has shown up on my bank account. It is for $266.65. I have not made any such purchase, and nothing in that amount shows in my transactions list. I suspect the charge is fraudulent, but is it possible PayPal made a mistake and withdrew money from the wrong bank account?

The description of the transaction is:

01/09 054039 POS-PURCH PAYPAL *SHAWNTEPAYPAL *SH 4029357733 CA

As you can see, it looks like a regular bank withdrawal from Paypal. But I don't know anyone named "Shawnte" and like I said, I have not made any purchases for that amount.

I hope I've made myself clear. There is no activity on my Paypal account. The balance there is still intact. But on my bank account, this transaction appears. Can someone else be using my bank account for backup funding? How is that possible?

Please help!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

SBamaguy
New Community Member

Question.  Did you see a previous verification deposit and withdrewal (small amounts that balance) on you checking account fopr this fraudulent PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

lianeb
Contributor
Contributor

No, nothing like that. I believe now that it is not a PayPal issue, that they spoofed the bank and it looked like a PayPal withdrawal but was not. I sent the bank a dispute form and should have my money back soon.

Login to Me Too

Eryeal
Contributor
Contributor

@lianeb wrote:

A withdrawal from PayPal has shown up on my bank account. It is for $266.65. I have not made any such purchase, and nothing in that amount shows in my transactions list. I suspect the charge is fraudulent, but is it possible PayPal made a mistake and withdrew money from the wrong bank account?

The description of the transaction is:

01/09 054039 POS-PURCH PAYPAL *SHAWNTEPAYPAL *SH 4029357733 CA

As you can see, it looks like a regular bank withdrawal from Paypal. But I don't know anyone named "Shawnte" and like I said, I have not made any purchases for that amount.

I hope I've made myself clear. There is no activity on my Paypal account. The balance there is still intact. But on my bank account, this transaction appears. Can someone else be using my bank account for backup funding? How is that possible?

Please help!

This has nothing to do with your Paypal account - someone charged your bank account through THEIR Paypal account.  For instance, you could have purchased something with your bank card from someone that uses Paypal for their merchant processing.   You should contact your bank ASAP for more information on this transaction.  

Login to Me Too

lianeb
Contributor
Contributor

You can't use the same credit/debit card on two different PayPal accounts. Their system will not let you. They tell me it was my debit card that was used to make the withdrawal. It was not a bank transfer to Paypal. They spoofed the bank, I guess.

Login to Me Too

avcraig00
New Community Member

This occured on my account two days ago. Paypal told me my bank account info was added to the other person's account and because they are VERIFIED, I could not be given their information. 

Login to Me Too

Ss201512
New Community Member
I had this happen. PayPal somehow allowed someone named Anne Conley and Stephen Rice to open 2 separate PayPal accounts. One with my checking and the other with my savings account. They were able to set up and verify within a day's time. They transfered 95.00 and 96.00.Was my computer hacked? My phone? The bank? How did they get my info? I had to close and reopen new bank accounts and hopefully will get my money back. Anyways my PayPal account is now limited, fine with me. Not so sure I ll use again.
Login to Me Too

Wintertime100
Contributor
Contributor
Money has been taken from my PayPal account without my authorisation. This happened on 18th February 2016 by soft layer Dutch holdings amount taken52.29 dollars USA. I was not in the UK on this date. My bank cancelled my debit credit card due to suspicious activity. Can I have this money refunded to me
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Wintertime100

You are responding to a zombie thread from 2015.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.