Item damaged in shipping

oneweek
Contributor
Contributor

I sent off an ebay package to a buyer.

It was damaged during shipping.

The buyer didn't ask for insurance,But i added $300 insurance on it myself

I filed a claim and recived the "new" normal $50 money order from USPS.

After over a month of emails and calling them. they said they want proof of insurance...doesn't USPS keep track of this when it is shipped?

But the recipt i recived when i mailed the package is so faded you cant even make out what it is for anymore.

My question is, Do I have to pay the buyer the $300 they spent being they didn't ask for insurance or not?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

You should refund the buyer's payment in full and continue to work with the USPS to obtain a complete insurance reimbursement.

If you used PayPal or eBay shipping to purchase and print the shipping label, log in to your PayPal account and click on the USPS payment's "Details" link... the Transaction Details page may have the requested insurance information.

Also check the email messages you received from PayPal and/or eBay.

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

oneweek
Contributor
Contributor

Even if the buyer did not opt for insurance?

I know when i have recived broken things in the mail and did not opt for insurance I didn't recive any money back.

Thats why insurance is offered,so the buyer can decide if they want insurance or not.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, even if the buyer didn't opt for insurance.

For eBay purchases, eBay's Buyer Protection protects the buyer... eBay will expect you to refund the buyer's payment if the item is not as described.  An item damaged during shipping is not as described.

For other purchase payments, PayPal's Purchase Protection protects the buyer... PayPal will expect you to refund the buyer's payment if the item is not as described.

Insurance is for the seller's protection... seller refunds the buyer and insurance reimburses the seller.

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

oneweek
Contributor
Contributor

If insurance is for the "Sellers" protection, then why does every website and 99% of ebay sellers make the buyer pay for the insurance?

Not to argue, But if the buyer want to be assured of their item arriveing unbroken by the USPS then they should be responsible for the insurance. Once the package leaves the sellers hands,it is not in their control what happens to it.

When i mail things off at the post office and i mention its an ebay item, they always say "Did they want insurance?"

Not if i want insurance.

So saying it is for the sellers protection is false.

I did contact the usps about the package in wuestion and they asked "Did they opt for insurance for this item?" and i said no, I did.

So once i send the recipt, they will pay the claim.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

It's a violation of eBay's User Agreement for the seller to charge the buyer a separate fee for insurance.  Here is the policy text...

What you're not allowed to charge

Shipping and handling costs - Insurance:  You can't charge a separate fee for insurance, although you still need to make sure your item arrives as described.
Tip: You should incorporate any insurance fees into an item's price or handling cost.

Here is the link to the eBay policy...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html#postage

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.