Gumtree Scam

alsypops
New Community Member

just received this for my car, complete scam as highlighted in Payapl Gumtree scams!!!

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my cousin. and i am read to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally 

to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alsypops

Yep scams been ongoing for years and not just on Gumtree, all over this forum and the internet.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sh99
Contributor
Contributor

I got exactly the same message today!!

Login to Me Too

csnjkleonard
Contributor
Contributor

I also got this email today from email - riojohn.10 at gmail.com - didnt realise it was a scam until a short time ago -

"Great! please consider it sold and please cancel every other appointment regarding it as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to view or collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?"

I didn't realise the email address - riojohn.10 at gmail.com - was a scam until I had almost got to pay pal stage when he said he would send the money to my pay pal account. It all seemed a bit strange so we googled his email and I found all these. This is still going on. Ridiculous this is still going on,

Login to Me Too

Joe_H
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi acme01

Welcome to the community forum. Smiley Happy

Some general advice to all our PayPal customers.

Never post an item until you are sure that the payment is in your PayPal account. In addition, we don’t recommend that you hand an item over instead of posting it. You would not be covered under our seller protection policy in the event of a dispute.

Check out this link for more seller tips.  goo.gl/ljeUiS

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Joe_H

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.