Are some of the posts in this Paypal Community scraped from other threads on the web?

WeCanDoItGuys
Contributor
Contributor

I searched online whether it's safe to forward someone your PayPal receipt, and the top result was this StackExchange thread from Feb 2021.

The second top result was this Paypal Community thread from Dec 2021.

The question posted and answer given are verbatim the same as from the StackExchange thread.

Have any of you seen other questions on this forum that are from other websites? I'm curious if this site was populated by questions from the web, or if a lone actor/pair copied that particular question and answer.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @WeCanDoItGuys,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! I understand your caution and confusion when faced with something that doesn't make sense at first. I am happy to look into it.

In reviewing the thread you linked on the PayPal forum, it appears that the post was from someone who was trying to embed a link to a website in the hopes that someone would click on the link. Due to the suspicious nature, I am removing that post. It's very probable that they did scrape the other forum for plausible scenarios to post and hide their link within. Thanks for catching it!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @WeCanDoItGuys,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! I understand your caution and confusion when faced with something that doesn't make sense at first. I am happy to look into it.

In reviewing the thread you linked on the PayPal forum, it appears that the post was from someone who was trying to embed a link to a website in the hopes that someone would click on the link. Due to the suspicious nature, I am removing that post. It's very probable that they did scrape the other forum for plausible scenarios to post and hide their link within. Thanks for catching it!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

WeCanDoItGuys
Contributor
Contributor

Oh interesting! I did notice there was a link in the Paypal-Community answer that wasn't in the original StackExchange answer but I didn't think to click it. Now I feel lucky that I didn't, but I'm curious what site it would've brought me to.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.