can't checkout with safari

vibralogix
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed recently that Mac Safari can't checkout to Paypalif the user is not already logged in to Paypal. Paypal jsyt shows a blank screen and the developer console has many errors including

'Refused to execute a script because 'unsafe-eval' does not appear in the script-src directive of the Content Security Policy.'

I tested this with a cart and also a simple Paypal standard button that has worked for years and in all other browsers.

I noticed that If I clear the Paypal cookie named 'cookie_check' then it works for one checkout but then fails next time as the cookie is recreated. It seems this issue started when the new policy of removing the login on checkout if already logged in was introduced recently.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Temp20240327G
Contributor
Contributor

I have been experiencing similar for months.  Strange thing is I have two iMacs, and checkout works on one Safari browser, but not the other one.  Very frustrating.  

But I got it to work today, finally, by the following:

1.  log in to PayPal

2.  in a separate window, log into the site I wanted to shop

3. At the top, click on "Safari"

4. In the drop down menu, click on "Settings for PayPal"

5.  When the window pops up with the settings, make sure to UNCHECK "enable content blockers"

Then do the same thing for the site you are shopping, making sure to UNCHECK "enable content blockers"

This seems to fixed my months long issue of being unable to use the Safari browser with PayPal. 

Good luck! 

Login to Me Too

RaseOne
Contributor
Contributor

We've been having the same problem for at least a couple of weeks but I don't know exactly when it started. The problem is occurring in every version of MacOS & iOS that I have available. My main systems are MacOS 14.3.1 and Safari 17.3.1 as well as safari on iOS 16.6.1. As described above, upon checkout, the users is presented with a blank, white screen that never resolves. This seems to be happening everywhere, on my own pages that have worked fine for years, on random other sites using PayPal (Standard & Advanced) as well as on test pages that I built from scratch to investigate the issue.

I've seen a couple of workaround solutions proposed but customers are not going to find or use obscure workarounds to get PayPal to work. They're just going to assume that our sites are broken & probably never come back. Mac users are a huge part of our business & this bug needs attention.

Several cascading errors seem to be happening on PayPals end. As soon as the checkout button is hit, a series of scripts fail to load as seen in the attached screenshot.

image.png

Login to Me Too

RaseOne
Contributor
Contributor

Safari is now failing in roughly the same manner to log in to x.com (twitter). Consistently, persistently. Other browsers are working fine. Maybe it's more of a Safari problem. Maybe staff ay PayPal can help get this fixed either way.

Login to Me Too

paul_a
New Community Member

I have tested Safari on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, running the latest iOS.  When I log in to PayPal account, I get the usual authentication challenge that eventually leads to a QR code that I somehow have to capture on the phone, which isn't possible since the QR is on the screen while the camera points outside the phone.
I checked out Bing and Chrome on iPhone and I'm able to log in to PayPal.  The issue is not PayPal, but Safari.  If Apple doesn't want me to use Safari to shop and pay with my PayPal account, then I'll just shop using Bing or Chrome.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.