Zero-dollar authorization with PayFlow and error # 10525

utilmind
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! I'm developer, supporting online store integrated with PayFlow API.

Since the early June 2024 my client software integrated with PayFlow randomly receiving errors with Result code #4 nd Host code # 10525 (Invalid amount: 10525-This transaction cannot be processed. The amount to be charged is zero.), in attempt to perform a zero-dollar verification.

This error returned randomly 50/50. Sometimes it immediately makes authorization, sometimes I need to do a few more attempts. Currently I made a temporary workaround, I'm doing up to 5 repeating attempts to make a zero-dollar verification with 1 second interval (these repeating verification requests are made with the same card information).

Again, sometimes absolutely the same card information can be verified, sometimes it's does not. I understand that error 10525 occurs when amount to charge is $0 and it would probably not occur if I would make a $1 charge for verification, but I don't want to do this.

Because zero-dollar authorization is supported, documented and supposed to work.
https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_US/developer/docs/pdf/pp_payflowpro_guide.pdf (see page 32)

And it's already worked like a charm before June 2024, before something got broken. This issue related to any card type, Visa, MasterCard, AmEx etc. It just sometimes successfully authorizing, sometimes is not with the totally the same request.

Anyone else have similar issue?

Can someone from Merchant Technical Support contact me regarding this issue? I can give more details, example of requests and responses.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

utilmind
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to supplement my question with details.

My authorization request is simple: ORIGID=*********&CUSTCODE=123456 (I put correct ORIGID and CUSTCODE in my requests.)

The response can be either invalid
Array
(
[RESULT] => 4
[PNREF] => ********
[RESPMSG] => Invalid amount: 10525-This transaction cannot be processed. The amount to be charged is zero.
[HOSTCODE] => 10525
[TRANSTIME] =>[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]57:31
[FIRSTNAME] => Firstname
[LASTNAME] => Lastname
[AMT] => 0.00
[ACCT] => 1002
[EXPDATE] => 0128
[CARDTYPE] => 3
)

Or valid. The repeating request (absolutely the same request(!!) with 1 second interval!) can succeed

Array
(
[RESULT] => 0
[PNREF] => *****
[RESPMSG] => Verified: 10574-This card authorization verification is not a payment transaction.
[AUTHCODE] => 111111
[AVSADDR] => Y
[AVSZIP] => Y
[TXID] => *******
[PPREF] => *******
[CORRELATIONID] => ab25600731837
[HOSTCODE] => 10574
[PROCAVS] => Y
[TRANSTIME] =>[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]57:33
[FIRSTNAME] => Firstname
[LASTNAME] => Lastname
[AMT] => 0.00
[ACCT] => 1002
[EXPDATE] => 0128
[CARDTYPE] => 3
[IAVS] => N
)

Login to Me Too

philsayersCDS
New Community Member

I'm seeing the same problem. Started right around June 24th-26 2024. 

We store the PNREF's from Sale & Card verification transactions and with customer consent use those tokens to charge an annual membership amount. 

Approx every 90 days (in the 12 month period between those annual charges) we attempt to refresh the tokens with a zero-dollar authorization transaction.  This is so we can detect cancelled/expired  cards and handle customer outreach before the annual charges hit. 

We're seeing error code 4 for some of those token refreshes, and some others processing succesfully. 

There doesn't seem to be any pattern, card type (Visa/MC/Amex) doesn't seem to matter, card issues doesn't seem to matter, it doesn't seem to make a difference if it is a personal card or a business card.

It's not like 5 token refreshes will succeed and then every subsequent 'zero dollar auth' will fail with error code 4.  It is intermittent.  It seems like something internal between Payflow/PayPal and the card issuer.

Login to Me Too

utilmind
Contributor
Contributor

We have switched to $0.01 authorization for Visa/MC/Discover and $1.00 for AmEx (for some reason AmEx create pending $1 transaction even if charge $0.01).

But this is annoying workaround. PayFlow should fix zero-dollar authorization, make it as documented. Or at least correct the documentation + describe the reason why the zero-dollar authorization is not possible anymore...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.