PayPal Business Debit Card is removing backup bank account funding

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct location but we just received an email from PayPal informing us that starting September 12th the backup funding from our bank account to our PayPal Business Debit Card function is going to be removed from ALL PayPal accounts. I called and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep Lori who spoke with her supervisor (and they had to speak with their supervisor). Apparently no one had informed them of this major change in PayPal business account functions. 

We really rely on this benefit as we are fully self-employed with three businesses and live in a very rural area. The Debit Card backup funding gives us the peace of mind to know our accounts are running smoothly and we don't have to constantly check balances. Ours is a perishable product business and our sales are cyclical on a weekly basis, we don't have customers making purchases every day of the week.

Bottom line: booooooo to PayPal!! You just made our businesses HARDER to run on a day-to-day basis despite your claim in that very email stating your "ongoing focus on helping your business to thrive". I imagine there will be a lot of folks shopping around for other options since PayPal thinks it is fine to cut major functional benefits to their customers with no information or basis in doing so.

moorewmla_0-1692288129895.png

Login to Me Too
278 REPLIES 278

BSPhoto
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal is making a huge mistake with this and I hope they are going to realize that they need to change this policy back. 

Especially when they are taking nearly a week for transfers into the accounts to happen. And when they cancelled the ability to transfer between a personal account to a business account using friends/family so we accrue even more fees or it takes more than a week to transfer to the bank, then transfer to the business account.  

Login to Me Too

Flonitab

I didn't receive a notification on this.  I went to the Post Office today and card declined.  Same at grocery - Paypal Business Debit card tied directly to my bank account with abundantly more cash than was required.  Totally **bleep**.  I've been using my debit card with backup funding for over 25 years.  Guess I'll be using Venmo now since they still do backup funding.  I've trusted Paypal for YEARS to protect my funds by using them as an added layer of protection. Bad move Paypal.  Otherwise, what are you good for now?  Also closing my Paypal credit account.  AND i have to go change ALL my vendors that us my Paypal card.  Paypal, are you going to reimburse me for my time to do all that?? Sad, sad, sad day.

Login to Me Too

nettiemcc
Contributor
Contributor
Venmo is owned by PayPal. Backup funding also ended sept 12 for them.
Login to Me Too

Christie27

I agree that this was a very helpful feature and one of the main things I used PayPal for. I hope they restore it.

Login to Me Too

ytsejam
Contributor
Contributor

From what I've been reading, the Cash app lets you have a bank account or debit card as a backup source. They also have there own debit card. 

Login to Me Too

D-D-V
New Community Member
Why did paypal stop doing auto top up?
Login to Me Too

KAXNPilot
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering the same thing 😕
was super useful and liked the feature since my bank refuses to give me a debit card
realllly hope it comes back soon.

Login to Me Too

We2thoms
Contributor
Contributor
We used our PP Debit card for EVERYTHING. This is such a huge inconvenience. There’s never been difficulty with funding. It was such a win/win situation. This was the one thing PP had over/above the new cash apps.
Login to Me Too

Big_C
Contributor
Contributor

from Cash App website...

"When you use Cash App Pay, money for your payment comes from your Cash App balance. If your balance doesn’t cover the payment, it will then be taken from a linked debit card. If you haven’t linked a debit card and your Cash App balance doesn’t cover the cost of the transaction, the payment will be declined. You won’t be charged an overdraft fee."

Looks good to me. Later PayPal. The adding money to PP is ridiculous.

Maybe the banks didn't like all the ACH transactions. I will miss the cashback but can get better returns elsewhere.

Login to Me Too

Powerlinep
Contributor
Contributor

I have been with Paypal since the beginning.  Everything comes off this card.  Last night Dinner for the entire family was declined.  Today I couldn't buy cigs. I didn't know what was going on.  Now I find this.  This is ridiculous. 20 Year business customers have already been looking at reduced benefits for years and now the card is basically being rendered inoperable.  If we have been good customers for 20 years why are we now being pushed off the platform due to consumers you should just remove.  What's the point in transferring to your card? I receive barely any benefits anyway. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.