PayPal Business Debit Card is removing backup bank account funding

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct location but we just received an email from PayPal informing us that starting September 12th the backup funding from our bank account to our PayPal Business Debit Card function is going to be removed from ALL PayPal accounts. I called and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep Lori who spoke with her supervisor (and they had to speak with their supervisor). Apparently no one had informed them of this major change in PayPal business account functions. 

We really rely on this benefit as we are fully self-employed with three businesses and live in a very rural area. The Debit Card backup funding gives us the peace of mind to know our accounts are running smoothly and we don't have to constantly check balances. Ours is a perishable product business and our sales are cyclical on a weekly basis, we don't have customers making purchases every day of the week.

Bottom line: booooooo to PayPal!! You just made our businesses HARDER to run on a day-to-day basis despite your claim in that very email stating your "ongoing focus on helping your business to thrive". I imagine there will be a lot of folks shopping around for other options since PayPal thinks it is fine to cut major functional benefits to their customers with no information or basis in doing so.

moorewmla_0-1692288129895.png

Login to Me Too
278 REPLIES 278

sabramedia
Contributor
Contributor

I have to add my voice here. I have used the PayPal debit card with bank as backup funds for years. Our bank card can be to restrictive with online purchases and the PayPal Debit Card has come through. But now I have to monitor the balance. Just had some failed payments because the bank isn't backing up the card. Now I have keep manually shoveling money to PayPal from the bank in order to keep the balance up. We live in the digital era when this automation was a blessing. Seems like a step backwards. Poorly done PayPal... poorly done.

Login to Me Too

ytsejam
Contributor
Contributor

So, has anyone found a good replacement yet? Someone who will issue a physical debit card that requires no balance and will just use your bank account or bank debit card as the backup funding source?  I have tried both the Cash app and Affirm and both require a balance on their platform. 

Login to Me Too

Patsall
Contributor
Contributor
After 25 years, one month notice, that essentially says "no real reason to read this", these Bozos change ny card agreement, which is fine, to hell with em. However. To send back the items **bleep** insufficent funds, has allowed my Attorney General to get envolved!
Login to Me Too

jwolfe
Contributor
Contributor

I've been with PayPal for more than 20 years. Imagine my shock when I started getting notices that my auto-payments were being rejected. Auto-payments that I have been doing for decades. I run a small business and the income fluctuates. I have direct deposits going into my PayPal account but when business is slow, I sometimes may not have all the funds in the PayPal wallet to cover the autopayments. I had confidence that PayPay would withdraw from my bank account to cover the shortage. The ONLY REASON I used PayPal was the online insulation provided by hackers accessing my bank accounts. I no longer have a reason to use PayPal. And what a hassle they will put me through now, to change all my autopayments to a different method. I no longer have confidence in PayPal and will never return to their service. Finally, I NEVER received a notice regarding their new business model. If I had, I would have immediately begun to make the changes. 
You **bleep** up big-time PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

RayCornwall

Count me in the group of people who never got the notice and just know found out about this. I've had the card for a decade. No more. 

I can understand dropping the feature if it made sense to PayPal. It's their service, after all. But to have this removed and never get an email clearly stating what was going to happen is disrespectful. I'm going to discontinue using PayPal for most of my transactions. I don't need to do business with a company this disrespectful.

Login to Me Too

CBellaD
Contributor
Contributor

Had all my auto-payments declined. Put cash in my Paypal account and tried using it with the card...still wouldn't allow it. WTH Paypal? Pretty much a useless piece of plastic now. I have been a member since their beginning. Of all the ridiculous stuff you have done, this one takes the cake. Gonna look for a better, friendlier option.

Login to Me Too

Luckins
Contributor
Contributor

I honestly thought it was because I recently got a standard debit card rather than a business one.  I didn't know it was across the board. My clients pay me via Paypal and I used their card as my primary debit card. I guess not anymore.

Login to Me Too

sabramedia
Contributor
Contributor

This is highly frustrating. I am getting notices from various companies saying insufficient funds on the business card. When I go to manually add money to PayPal from the bank... it has taken 5 days for it to register. This is just unsustainable. The bank as backup funds was great. Now we are starting to us our bank debit card, but it doesn't work in all places that PayPal did for some reason. I have been on the phone with our bank numerous times. A poor business decision on PayPal's part, in my opinion.

Login to Me Too

kjhaase
Contributor
Contributor

A PayPal Debit Card transaction was declined. A PayPal Debit Card transaction was declined. A PayPal Debit Card transaction was declined. A PayPal Debit Card transaction was declined. A PayPal Debit Card transaction was declined.

Somebody please make it stop.

Login to Me Too

JerzyR

Obviously a very bad move , I have put my PayPal debit card in the drawer and that is it.
From now on will use PayPal to receive payments. Why they shoot themselves in the foot remains the mystery.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.