How to get $US out of Canadian account

Canple
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Canadian paypal account.

I was sent some American money to my Canadian paypal account and I'd like to be able to use it without converting to Canadian dollars.

It seems I can only link to Canadian banks.  And even if I have a US currency account at a Canadian bank, paypal won't send me the US funds.

I can think of 2 possible options.

1) Leave the cash in paypal and when I need to buy something with US funds use this paypal balance.  Not a great option as it would take me a while to use the funds.

2) Could I transfer the cash to someone that has a US dollar paypal account, and then they could deposit the cash in an American bank account?  This would keep everything in US$, but not being a paypal user I don't know if (how) I can send someone the cash.  I assume someone with paypal in the US can link to any US bank and transfer the money there, just like we can with Canadian accounts to Canadian banks.

Are both options possible?  Any other ideas?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Grimreepr
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

How do I convert my money to another currency in PayPal?

To convert money to another currency:

1. Go to Wallet
  2. Select More icon beside the currency you want to convert and click Convert currency
  3. Select a currency and enter the amount you want to convert. Our conversion rate will be displayed on this page. Click Next
  4. Click Convert Now
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Canple 

A U.S bank account is the only bank account that you can add to other countries paypal accounts and so you could add one to your paypal account if you have one.

If you don't have one then paypal would convert the funds on withdrawing them to your CAD bank account.

Failing that you can save them in your balance to use to pay USD sellers but to make that transaction you would need to mark USD as your primary currency before making the payment + mark your balance as your preferred funding choice. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.