Receiving odd $1 payments out of country

ECCR2016
Contributor
Contributor
I’m receiving out of country donations via PayPal for $1. Something seems off with this, we aren’t a worldwide business. Very tiny non profit in US. Could be scam or trying to hack account?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_JonK

Hello @ECCR2016

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear you've received potentially fraudulent transactions. If you receive a small transaction you were not expecting, it may potentially be someone trying to complete a test for a larger transaction and they just happened to choose your account to complete that test. However, there may never be a known reason as to why those small transactions are being received. Normally the best option is to complete a refund for any unexpected transaction you receive. If needed, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Support teams for assistance. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

ECCR2016
Contributor
Contributor
I appreciate that however when I try to refund, we are losing money. When they make the payment, there is a .52 net and .48 fee. When I refund that, it refunds .97 to them and .03 fee. They have done about 10-15 of these now over the last 3 days. If I start refunding them, I’m paying them more in the return. That’s not fair I endure the costs of this. Usually they refund exactly the same as they come in. So can I count on PayPal to refund it as it came in or pay these extra fees?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @ECCR2016

Thanks for reaching back out! 

I understand you'd like more information about refunding the payments and fees. I apologize; we cannot guarantee the fees will be refunded, but to inquire if it is a possibility, I recommend reaching out to Customer Support by selecting 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal page. You can also find Customer Support on X (Twitter), Facebook, and Instagram private messages. When you have some time, I also recommend referring to this article on our Help Center to learn how to prevent these payments in the future. 

I hope this helps! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.