Refund by Merchant failed and now Paypal is saying I owe them money.

LM_Chin
Contributor
Contributor

I used paypal to pay for a swiss air ticket on 21/7 (transaction id:70R49428YY9534158)  and swiss air has cancelled the flight and thereafter issued a refund back to paypal (transaction id: 6XN06988FB315433L) on 24/7.

I recevied a notification saying I owed paypal £260+, I called customer service and verified and i was told the these two swiss air transactions came out of a citibank account (which has been closecd for a while) and not from my defaulted AMEX card. 

I was told :

• Even though my bank account has been closed, paypal paid for my swiss air ticket (without my knowledge and not from my defaulted AMEX card)
  • Now that the refund was made to a closed account to the bank directly, paypal did not receive it.
  • I thus owe paypal the cost of the ticket.
  • They has asked me to check with swiss air on the bounce payment.

I have since:

• Written to swiss air and called them twice but swiss air have not gotten back to me
  • Received a rude customer service call on 11th or 12th August from Paypal demanding that I do something about the amount
  • Received 3 e-mails from paypal for me to sort out the amount own

I would like to verify why as a consumer when the payment service failed is down to me owning anyone money?

I checked the transaction and found that the payment was made via a visa card ending [Removed] yet the refund was made to the Citibank account [Removed]. Adding to this, Citibank has ceased operation in UK, no payment transaction should even be made possible.

Why isn’t the refund made to the visa card if it was withdrawn from there but into the Citibank account? Why is it that the refund when done incorrectly, is down to me, a consumer fixing it? Why isn’t paypal in contact with SwissAir to work out the refund? And why am I receiving threatening email from paypal weekly when I have attempted to reach out to Swiss Air on my own accord when I should not be doing so?

This is a payal transaction process issue. I am not sure why it is not my problem and that i owe paypal money. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.