Paypal dispute takes more than 2 months

User096
Contributor
Contributor

Hello On December 8, 2023 I placed an order at Zalando for 140 euros. I paid for this with PayPal. I returned these items in full and they arrived back at Zalando on January 2. Before Zalando could proceed with the refund, I had closed my PayPal account, which meant that Zalando could not refund the amount to my Paypal account. After weeks of contacting Zalando to deposit the money into my bank, they were not competent enough to understand this, in their conditions they say it was possible to do that in case your PayPal account is closed. I opened a new Paypal account with the same email address and telephone number and on February 9, thanks to a customer service representative, I was able to open a dispute with my old PayPal account against Zalando. I have uploaded all documents of the return to Zalando as proof, including track and trace and emails confirming that I would get the money back. After a week I escalated the matter to PayPal and since then I have not heard anything from Paypal, the dispute has been open for more than 2 months now, the goods have been returned to Zalando but I still have not received my money back. I call PayPal every week and always hear from customer service that I am right and that they have noted that I should get my money back. Both Zalando employees and PayPal agree with me, but I will not get my money back and the dispute is still being processed. On Monday April 8 2024, I called PayPal customer service and the gentleman told me that I would hear something by Thursday at the latest, but that did not happen. Today I called PayPal again and the gentleman said that she had referred it to the supervisor and that a solution must be found quickly, I should hear something next week, but I fear that after more than 2 months I still won't hear anything. On March 14, I received an email from PayPal asking why I had returned the items, I also provided a perfect answer with proof, but there is no result and my patience and confidence in Paypal are starting to run out, I am still trying being polite on the phone but the fact that everyone agrees with you but that you still have to wait for your money while the goods have already been at Zalando drives me crazy. I don't know what to do anymore... The amount of 140 euros was paid with my PayPal balance so not with a Credit Card, otherwise I would also open a dispute with my Credit Card company…

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@User096 

Which dispute type did you open?

Only the only appropriate one was 'item received but not as described', however if the item was as described but its just you changed your mind then paypal does not cover buyer remorse.

If you chose to return the goods NOT via winning a claim then its between you and the merchant.

A claim would only work if paypal found in your favour that the item was misdescribed and told you to return said items. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

User096
Contributor
Contributor
Hello I don’t agree with your comment. Yes I openend it as “not as described” and returned the goods, they also accepted the return but where is my refund money which I paid with Paypal that’s also buyer protection. I’m sure if this was a Chinese seller I already won this case but now it’s Zalando, a big customer of Paypal VS me therefore just like you Paypal is also doing difficult. I have 100 days the right to return the goods to Zalando without any reason like you can see in their website .
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@User096 

Buyer protection covers non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

If it was neither of those then its buyer remorse and regardless of whether you returned the item or not you may not win any subsequent claim.

Your right to return has nothing to do with Paypal as that is a separate issue to do with the merchant OR any legal rights you have.

If the merchant does not comply with those then you can take your own private action ie small claims court etc but that is outside of what Paypal buyer protection covers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

User096
Contributor
Contributor
Hello Okay but according to the customer service I’m right and I should get a refund. But what I don’t understand is that the case is from 9 february, last mail from Paypal was from March 14 where they asked for more information… Is it normal it takes sooo long? We are now more than 2 months further …
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@User096 

No but as they haven't made a decision it could be because they are seeing if the seller will voluntarily refund you, if not then the case may close. Your only option is to wait it out or keep contacting customer services for an update? 😐

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

User096
Contributor
Contributor
I asked Zalando to refund to my bank account because my Paypal was closed, they always say they will do it but after months they still haven’t done it, after I opened a dispute in PayPal they sent me a mail to ask to close the dispute so they could made a refund to my bank account but I don’t trust them because when I opened a dispute they started contacting me. But when i close the dispute i can’t reopen it anymore so I don’t close it. Zalando is a well known company but i’m not the only one with this problem, they steal money and i’m not stupid to close the case I know they won’t answer my mails anymore when i close the dispute.
Login to Me Too

User096
Contributor
Contributor
Now is enough! Paypal supervisor would let me know this week something but didn’t hear anything, we are now 10 weeks further since dispute has been opened!! I will call them tomorrow I can’t believe we are almost 3 months further !!
Login to Me Too

User096
Contributor
Contributor

Called PayPal today, got the following answer:

"I don't know what you talked with my other colleagues but there is no supervisor who will contact you, your case is still under review and since you closed your PayPal account is takes all longer, only option is to wait for a mail from us".

We are 10 WEEKS!!! further today, I can't believe this takes so much longer I really struggle to maintain my respect on the phone. If this was a Chinese seller I would have gotten my money back long ago.

Login to Me Too

User096
Contributor
Contributor

After mailing the complain department of PayPal i got a mail today from the complain department saying that the case will be closed in Zalando his favour.

According to PayPal, I would lose all rights after the PayPal account was closed.

I don't see this anywhere in their general terms and conditions, I am sure because it is Zalando that I lost the case, if it were a small seller from China then I would have won the case 10 times in 10 weeks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.