merchants choosing automatic payments. Why is this their option, not ours?

jaya14
Contributor
Contributor

Disgusted that merchants are allowed to choose automatic payments on any transaction including one offs. This should be opt in for the customer, not opt out. Will paypal give me back the time I waste going back in and changing the automatic payments, after each and every online purchase? I'll accept this situation if paypal give me some monetary compensation for that time, but I'm guessing they won't huh?

This stuff is getting ridiculous, and there is absolutely no reason the merchant should have this power. I want to sign in and choose my payment method EVERY TIME. For many reasons, none of which are the merchant's business. Or PayPal's - that was the actual point of PayPal wasn't it?

We need a "DO NOT ACCEPT AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS" option thanks paypal...

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

firstthumper
Contributor
Contributor

I have exact same issue, fraudulant seller settiing me up for recurring payments far above the advertised purchase price without a single communication or warning.  Shame on you PayPal... I have removed all valid payment methods from my profile until this issue is resolved.  I will no longer be using PayPal

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @firstthumper and @jaya14

Welcome! Thanks for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I can certainly understand how this must be a bit of a frustrating concern. I certainly wouldn't want any unauthorized subscriptions or recurring payments either. Normally, only merchants that offer recurring services or subscriptions offer recurring / automatic payments. However, if there's ever a transaction charged incorrectly, whether with the incorrect amount or unauthorized, we would recommend opening a dispute through our Resolution Center. You can also find any and all recurring / automatic payments and how to cancel them here

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

firstthumper
Contributor
Contributor

Jon K responded to my post recommending that I open a disput, funny I did open a disput in the resolution center emmendiatly (within minutes) following the posting to my account for automatic payments by that seller. ONLY to have paypal respond that I had not opened in a timely manner and due to the response recieved by them from the seller ( i did not get any communication from the seller, not even a confirmation of transaction).  Dispute Denied!!  I am done with paypal and their good ol boys club.  Buyers beware!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @firstthumper

Thanks for reaching back out with more details. 

I'm sorry to hear that your dispute was closed so quickly after it was filed. I recommend reaching out to Customer Support through one of these options to see if it's eligible for appeal with additional information or under a different case type. 

I hope you receive a refund! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.