Shipping rates by state...but USPS uses "zones" by zip codes. How do I make sense of this?

mathfunbook
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm trying to setup shipping rates on paypal to get my webstore up and running, but I've run into a problem. Paypal forces you to set your shipping rates by the STATE that it's going to...but USPS doesn't calculate postage based on state...they do it based on the zip code and what zone it is in.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

So I have the right prices from USPS for whatever my destination zone and weight is...but how am I supposed to translate this into how much it should cost for a certain state like Paypal is forcing me to do? As far as I know, some states are split into different zones. So paypal wants me to create ONE shipping setup for the state of Texas...but it's split into different zones. So shipping to one part of Texas costs more than another part of Texas.

Why is this so difficult?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Note, as you're are using Payments Standard, it's a "Free" tool, you only pay for the transaction processing fees.  There are limits as to what you can do with Standard.  When you require more than what's available, you need to look at other options such as a 3rd party shopping cart.  We used Standard for years, ship everything Priority Mail and use a Flat Rate price - works for our needs however, Standard is not a one size fits all solution.  Many 3rd party carts have much more robust shipping features and some of them even have direct links to UPS, USPS and FedEx. 

Login to Me Too

mathfunbook
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think I'm asking too much, considering Paypal does all this for me when I use them to ship through Ebay. Why can't they do the same thing when they take a payment through a button on my website? They know the shipping address of the buyer, just like on ebay. They know the weight of the item, because I tell them...just like on ebay. Just seems like a glaring omission on Paypals part.

Anyways, I think I found a workaround. I found this map of the zones. I don't know who made it...but the few places I've checked, it works perfectly.

http://mtmailing.com/ZoneMapColor.jpg

Then, using the USPS rate table...I just need to classify my states into my own "zones." Take Texas for example. Most of it is Zone 6, so I'll put it in my list of zone 6 states like OK, KS, etc. That means part of Texas will be paying more, and a small part paying less than they should.

This should get shipping rates super close to what they should be, and avoid problems like people in California and NY the same rate, when they are really very different.

But come on Paypal...it shouldn't be that complicated.

Login to Me Too

fobbygirl
New Community Member

Thank you for this info Mathfunbook!  I too was having a headache this entire week trying to figure out how I am going to set up my shipping.  Great info!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.