Accidentally cancelled direct debit

edwards8711
New Community Member

I had a recurring payment for a games server I don't use anymore and wanted to cancel, so I went to the direct debits on my online banking and cancelled that payment, which was listed as £2 a month. Then a few days ago after buying something on ebay, I got an email from Paypal saying the request for funds was declined, but the money had been taken from my card instead.

My Paypal account still says my bank account is linked though, so do I need to somehow set up the direct debit again? If it can just take the money direct from my card even without it, will it cause problems when I try to use Paypal in the future?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It will take future payments from your card on file. If you want to reinitiate the direct debit funding, remove your bank account and re-add it. Then confirm it.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there edwards8711, despite the fact that you cancelled the direct debit with PayPal and your bank. The subscription link was still between PayPal and the games server. The subscription payment had to be honoured. You will have to work with the games server and have them refund the payment to you.  Meanwhile here’s how to cancel a subscription or recurring payment:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile.’
  3. Click ‘My preapproved payments’ under ‘Financial Information.’ (Don’t see this step? Follow the alternative set of instructions below.)
  4. Select the merchant whose agreement you want to cancel and click ‘Cancel.’
  5. Click ‘Cancel Profile’ to confirm your request.

Or

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Select ‘My money’.
  4. In the ‘My preapproved payments’ section, click ‘Update’.
  5. Select the merchant whose agreement you want to cancel and click ‘Cancel.’
  6. Click ‘Cancel Profile’ to confirm your request.
Login to Me Too

lizzy21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I also cancelled a Direct Debit from my bank ,now I am having problems paying for everything at PayPal,It wont let me close my account and restart the process I have £1.23 in my balance that I cant get rid of I've spoke to papal and my bank I am  going round in circles.when I  try to add and remove bank account it says I cant because a transaction has not been completed,but it says it has been completed in the transactions,if any one can understand what im saying any ideas?My brain is mushed.!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there, contact Customer Service and ask them to re-enable your bank. The fact that he direct debit was cancelled may have caused the bank to be removed permanently from our system. Hope that helps.

Login to Me Too

lizzy21
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help,got it all sorted,your advice was spot on thanks again.

Login to Me Too

tracyjayne
Contributor
Contributor

do you have a uk number so i can phone paypal and set it back up again please?  i also have accidently stopped my DD thanks 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there tracyjayne,

If you are trying to contact customer services, the best thing for you to do would be to click the Contact Us  link at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. From here, you can then click the Call Us or Email Us link in order to get in touch with customer services.

I hope this helps,

David. 

Login to Me Too

ryansalter
Contributor
Contributor

its such **bleep**, you ever sort this out?? mines been going on for months now and i cannot do anything, sent away the direct debit form and have heard NOTHING back. Can't email them, can't phone them, I'm **bleep**

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.