What happens if the seller has no funds to issue refund?

anon8675309
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item for $1,975 back in June. The seller never shipped it. In August I opened a dispute (which the seller tried to fight) and she eventually gave up, called PayPal and said to issue the refund. PayPal sent me an email saying the dispute will be closed in my favor because the seller has decided to issue a refund. I then saw on my PayPal account transactions a refund for $1975 pending until the 14th. It is now the 16th and I haven’t heard anything. I fear that the seller may have has refund remorse and withdrew the money out of her PP account and bank account so I can’t get refunded. What happens if there is no money in her account to refund me now?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@anon8675309

Then if you won the dispute, paypal would issue a refund under their buyer protection policy.

Clearance dates for refunds are estimates, hopefully may clear on monday?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

anon8675309
Contributor
Contributor
Yea hopefully. I should add that on the 10th PayPal closed the case in my favor because she decided to issue a refund. Tomorrow makes day 7 (day 6 for bank days) whenever I pay for something it’s within 2 days PayPal takes the money out of my account, that’s why I fear she may have done something like that. I wish I read reviews online about their business before sending them money. I just fear I won’t get my 2 grand back.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

as soon as  you open a case,PAYPAL/ebay  will withhold  the amount from her paypal account,but often seller does not have much money in her PAYPAL account,so Paypal will give her days to transfer fund into her Paypal account to refund you.

if she cant come up with the money,Paypal will have to honor its buyer protection since you won the case and then go after her. 

if Paypal fails to do so,then you go to your cc issuer and file chargeback,you  have 180 days

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@anon8675309

If paypal closed the case then normally a refund has already been issued at the same time?

However if you funded the original Paypal payment to the seller with a card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your card. Paypal say allow 30 days but I have never waited longer than a week for mine, however that depends a lot on what country you are in.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

anon8675309
Contributor
Contributor

paid in the states. Paid out of my bank account, not via card. Unfortunately today it still says pending for the refund.

Login to Me Too

Autumnjul
Contributor
Contributor

Was this ever solved? Having the same issue.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.