Cannot login using non-hardware security key (Microsoft Edge)

lukev2
Contributor
Contributor

I used Microsoft Edge to add a security key for my account but I cannot log-in with it due to PayPal login not using the same flow/API as the registering process. Please see the steps below:

For adding:

- After requesting to add a security from PayPal, this dialog shows up, I click OK on it:

lukev2_0-1689522850025.png

- Then, this dialog shows up and asks me to insert a physical USB security key. I do not want to use it so I press Cancel. Note that this does NOT end the process (this is normal because I want to use my phone as the security key):

lukev2_1-1689522897513.png

- Now this dialog would then shows up to let me pick a device where my phone is there. I then pick my phone:

lukev2_2-1689522954742.png

- After confirming on my phone, the security is added successfully:

lukev2_3-1689522979088.png

However, when trying to log in, here's the process:

- After entering the password, this dialog shows up, similar to step 2 of the above, I would click Cancel again because I do not have a physical security key:

lukev2_4-1689523071739.png

- However, when I press Cancel, instead of the previous dialog showing up to let me pick my phone, the process ends and fails:

lukev2_5-1689523128595.png

Luckily I still had the authenticator app to generate 2FA code to login.

Please contact me with a fix. Thanks.

Also Windows Hello should be supported (when I only need to enter my Windows PIN instead of requiring my phone)

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

lukev2
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason a few screenshots don't show up on my side, I am uploading them again:

- To pick my phone:

lukev2_0-1689523319099.png

- Failure on logging in:

lukev2_2-1689523397424.png

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @lukev2

Welcome! Thanks for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. Sorry to hear you've run into some issues setting up 2-step authentication through Microsoft Edge. If you're unable to use a specific third-party application to complete the setup of your 2-step verification, we'd recommend trying a different authenticator app or security key.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.