2023 1099K I did not meet my state requirements this year but still received one

willinois
Contributor
Contributor

2023 1099K- I did not meet my state requirements this year but still received one.  Why?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Pellz86
Contributor
Contributor

From the link :

For the 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 reporting periods, you are required to submit Forms 1099-K, Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions, issued to a payee with an Illinois address electronically if:

Or,

the payee has four or more separate
transactions, and the cumulative total
exceeds $1,000

the bullet a point about federal tax changes is irrelevant to Illinois requirements and is stated 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

skier303
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't hit the federal or state threshold but still received a 1099k for $1582.77 worth of goods and services payments for 2023. plus they took 24% and sent it to the irs lol they are going to **bleep** your taxes up and sadly to say they can send the irs what they want about you. even if it is wrong.

Login to Me Too

Pellz86
Contributor
Contributor

Assuming your name indicates your state of residence, Illinois has a threshold of $1,000 from 4 or more transactions for reporting.  Were you below both $1,000 and 4 transactions?

Login to Me Too

willinois
Contributor
Contributor
Incorrect for 2023. Check the IL gov tax page regarding 1099k. They reversed on that until next year.
Login to Me Too

willinois
Contributor
Contributor

https://tax.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/tax/research/publications/pubs/documents/pub-110.pdf

Notice
2023-74 announced the delay of the
new $600 Form 1099-K reporting
threshold for third party settlement
organizations for calendar year 2023.
Reporting will not be required unless
the taxpayer receives over $20,000
and has more than 200 transactions
in 2023. The IRS is planning for a
threshold of $5,000 for tax year 2024
as part of a phase-in to implement the
$600 reporting threshold); or
• the payee has four or more separate
exceeds $1,000.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Pellz86
Contributor
Contributor

From the link :

For the 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 reporting periods, you are required to submit Forms 1099-K, Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions, issued to a payee with an Illinois address electronically if:

Or,

the payee has four or more separate
exceeds $1,000

the bullet a point about federal tax changes is irrelevant to Illinois requirements and is stated 

Login to Me Too

willinois
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  That makes more sense.

Login to Me Too

willinois
Contributor
Contributor

So, will PayPal only send the 1099K to Illinois then?  New to all this.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @willinois, @pkillinois, and everyone, 

Thank you for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. Thank you for your help on this thread so far @Pellz86. We appreciate it! I hope I'll be able to fill in any missing details here. 

If your account's activity have met the thresholds to generate a 1099-k, you'll see your tax forms in your PayPal account on or by January 31st. You can find all current 1099-k Reporting Thresholds here. Any Crypto gains and loss statement should be available around February 15. An email notification will be sent out once your tax forms are available. You won’t receive a tax form if you didn’t meet the reporting requirement for the tax year.

For more information on which transactions are included in your 1099-k, as well as which a brief summary of the 1099-k form, please review the following Help Center article: Will PayPal report my sales to the IRS?

Here's another great article you may find useful: What if the amount reported on my Form 1099-k is incorrect?

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

willinois
Contributor
Contributor
Instead of a like, just answer the question: is PayPal submitting 1099k to federal or just the state in this instance?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.