Doubt about authenticity of transaction

Davo99
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered something from a website, paid with PayPal, and immediately the website was no longer visible, I received no email confirmation of order, the vendor who I thought was American is displayed on PayPal in Chinese writing, is it likely I’ve been done? ,

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Route21
Contributor
Contributor

I made the same mistake just last night thru a link on Facebook to a fake L.L. Bean website. Payment was made to a Korean lady( assumed). You should not wait any longer and file a dispute, at least have the seller red flag so the payment will be held by paypal.

Send a message to the seller and ask for order confirmation, ( not likely they will respond ), just to show there was effort made by you to resolve the problem.

Login to Me Too

Davo99
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much indeed fir sharing your experience and for your kind suggestions.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Davo99 

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website (or you receive a totally different product).

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

Do not close the dispute until you have a refund or your item.
If a seller states that they can't refund until you have closed the dispute don't believe them.
Escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days (before it times out), if you need Paypal to get involved.

If you lose because the seller provides a fake tracking number then post back here for more advice.
If the item arrives and its not what you ordered / not as described then make sure you change the dispute quickly from non receipt. If the dispute times out before you can change it then contact customer services to open a second dispute for the new reason.

Activate the below link in case you have to return the item at Paypals request (or the correct one for your country as this is the U.S link).

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will issue a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Route21
Contributor
Contributor

Well, those guys are one step ahead of Paypal. Because you can only file a dispute once per transaction, if they can provide a fake tracking number, Paypal will rule in favor of the scammer and close the case.

I received a fake tracking number, which you can actually track the history on USPS. Funny thing is, the priority mail got to me in 24 hours, which is not normal according to USPS standard. Not to mention there is nothing in my mail box. Could somebody enlighten me on how is it possible to generate a fake tracking number with real results on USPS website? Do they hack the USPS website or something else?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Route21 

Did you bother to read the first line in bold in my above post?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Route21
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I was able to get CS to resolve my case. Got my refund

Login to Me Too

rconoscienti

I ordered something on Christmas, and still haven't received it. The same thing that you are going through. I emailed the person, and the email isn't good!??? What do I do??? I'm beyond **bleep**!!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hi @rconoscienti

Welcome to the PayPal Community! 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with a purchase made via PayPal. I appreciate this must be frustrating. 

If you haven't received your item, the item you received doesn't match the original product description, you didn't authorize a transaction, or there's been a billing error we have a dispute process to help you and your seller resolve the issue in a friendly way. When possible, you should always try contacting your seller before disputing a payment through PayPal. You have up to 180 days after you sent the payment to file a dispute.

For steps on how to open up a case for this, see: How do I open a dispute with a seller? (paypal.com)

I hope this helps, have a lovely day! 

-Rebecca. 

Login to Me Too

rconoscienti
Me too. What do I do??? Thank you.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.