Scam I'm sure - Linda [removed]

Libbyto
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all - I found a post here with description "Scam-I-think"

And I wanted to provide caution and awareness that I experienced the exact same thing.

The same person "Linda [removed]" expressed interest to purchase an item I posted on Kijiji.

Stated: "Thanks for your reply. please consider it sold and please cancel every other appointment regarding it as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin as a gift, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your  money and I'll pay you via PayPal. 

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now" 

After some back and forth on logistics, Linda [removed] stated: 
" I am glad to inform you that I have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check all email folders including the junk/spam.  I had a little problem with the pick up agent, they said that they can only come for pick up after they receive their pick up fee through bank transfer but I am presently having issues with my bank so I'm unable to send it to them at the moment and also being in wheelchair

So I added the   $150.00 CAD  they charged for the pick up, and you will receive the total sum of  $500.00 CAD  . You'll please send the  $150.00 CAD to them via E transfer now, Please let me know as soon as you make the payment so that I can make necessary arrangements" 

The fake PayPal email came from an email with extension paypal.ca and gmail.com not paypal.com stated: 

Payment Policy

Complying with the trading guidelines in our helps to protect both the Seller and Buyer from fraudulent activities.
Due to the PayPal Merchandise Policy, the funds will be held until you send the courier's payment and provide proof of payment sent.

Therefore, you need to send the sum of $150.00 CAD  which is the courier fee and provide proof of transfer made before we can release the payment into your account.
THIS TRANSACTION CAN NOT BE CANCELLED OR REVERSED. I.E. SAFE AND SECURE WITH PAYPAL SECURITY POLICY

What do you need to do?
You are required to send the money to the courier's bank details below :

You can either request the bank details from the buyer or reply directly to this email to request for the bank details  OR

CLICK HERE TO REQUEST FOR THE BANK DETAILS 

Once you have successfully done the transfer to the above details just reply directly to this email with the Picture of the Transfer Receipt/Screenshot Of The Transfer Page so that we can credit your account instantly.
For any questions or other issues regarding this transaction: You can reply directly to this email by using the reply option from your inbox or to get in touch with us by Clicking Here and we will respond to you immediately.

Apparently this is a common scam and Linda [removed] tried it on me and will likely do this to others.

Beware!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Libbyto 

Total scam.

- There’s no such thing in PayPal called “PayPal merchandise policy”.

- PayPal won’t ask you to pay a third party agent’s bank account in their confirmation emails using another payment processor.

- The whole “Payment policy” section of the email is not how PayPal works at all and is made up.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.