22 Subscriptions cancelled in matter of 90 minutes

Kazi3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

22 Subscriptions were cancelled in a matter of 90 minutes. I have been selling Paypal subscriptions from my site www.gmpsop.com , for over 12 years now.

I haven't seen such a bizarre situation until now. Today, between  12:17 pm and 01:50 pm AEST, 22 subscriptions were cancelled. Typically, my site subscribers are located around the world. Each month, some new subscriptions occur while some leave at the same time. Thus I have a net positive number of subscribers each month, and this way, the subscribers numbers have been growing ever since. Albeit slowly.

However, I have never seen such a phenomenon where so many subscribers have cancelled Paypal subscriptions in such a short window literally 01 in every 2/3 minutes synchronously.

Can someone please explain if PayPal sends any warnings to my customers behind my back? Or there is other foul play involved in this such as hacked account. No money being transferred.

BTW. my site is up and running during this time. No one has sent any complaint prior to cancelling. I have now changed my Paypal accpoiunt password.

Any suggestion will be appreciated. 

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

Yogavibes
New Community Member

I just talk with PayPal. They ask me to open a ticket here: https://www.paypal-support.com/

I'm using Memberpress, a popular subscription plugin for Wordpress? Anyone with this issue is using MemberPress?

Login to Me Too

Pete117
Contributor
Contributor

I've just got past the bot in the PayPal message center, it said a human would respond in a couple of hours

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Kazi3 and everyone,

Welcome to the PayPal Help Community! Our apologies for the inconvenience you’ve experienced with the cancellation of subscriptions in your accounts. I would recommend you to submit a ticket with the merchant technical team to so that they can take down your specific account information and add it to the record to resolve it soon. 

Good luck,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

StreamingBots
Contributor
Contributor

The bottom line for everyone as per customer support. They will not be re-instantiating the subscriptions. Send emails to your customers to subscribe again. Frustrating

Login to Me Too

pkalw
Contributor
Contributor

I woke up to see dozens of cancellation emails, as if this happened automatically (screenshot at the bottom)

I've been running a subscription-based service on PayPal Business for a few years now and nothing like that has ever happened to me before. There is no reason this could have happened. And there is no chance those users ganged together and simultaneously cancelled their subscriptions.

What do I do now? Where to report it? Is it reversible?

Did some hacker attack me?

(not 100% of subscriptions, but also not 1% - a significant percentage)

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 08.44.44.png

Login to Me Too

StreamingBots
Contributor
Contributor

This happened with us as well in the same time period. Some customers reached out to us saying that they didn't cancel the subscription themselves. 

Login to Me Too

Stu1981

We had 13 subscriptions canceled and they've completely gaslighted me now twice. Class Action?

Login to Me Too

Stu1981

I highly recommend Stripe...they have much better security, much better support. I decided to stop using PayPal for good. Terrible company.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.