Permanently Limited PayPal Account with Funds on Hold

elcnhsynv
Contributor
Contributor

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express my deep concern and frustration regarding the recent permanent limitation of my newly created PayPal account. To my dismay, this action has been taken without any apparent reason provided. What is particularly distressing is that there are funds currently held in my account, and the lack of transparency surrounding the limitation has left me in a state of uncertainty. I have been a responsible user, adhering to all terms and conditions, and I am perplexed as to why my account has faced such a drastic measure.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@elcnhsynv 

PayPal does review accounts regularly, and any concerns with security, violations of the User Agreement or Acceptable Use Agreement, compliance obligations, etc., could lead to a permanent restriction. Additional information beyond what would have been provided to you in a notification and/or email would not be available due also to security concerns and due to such information being proprietary....in other words they do not give you an exact reason, they just direct you to the user agreement or acceptable use policy. I guess having a reason wouldn't make any difference if they have permanently banned you.

If you have been told your Paypal account has been permanently limited then Paypal tends to hold any funds for 180 days. This is the same time frame that buyers have to open Paypal disputes.

If no disputes are opened in 180 days then normally you are allowed to withdraw the funds. That is as long as you are over 18, account is in your legal name and the account is registered in the country where you reside.

Sometimes they confiscate funds under this policy.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#actions

Paypal also may request further documentation from you before you can withdraw those funds.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a private direct message via Social Media on Facebook, Twitter/X, or Instagram pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

retfpc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm posting in this topic because my original post was marked as spam. I see that numerous other business accounts have been having similar issues. 

I'm a new ecommerce retail novelty business and I recently set up a Paypal business account to offer Paypal payments on my site. However, my Paypal business account was limited on December 31 ("Account features have been deactivated", "We’re unable to continue processing payments for this account"). I suspect it was due to "inconsistent financial performance in this account" being multiple refunds that I made to myself during payment testing and troubleshooting on my ecommerce store between Dec 17 2023 - Dec 21 2023.. I can see no other reason for the limitation. My store began accepting valid customer Paypal payments for orders on 12/24/2023. How can I appeal this limitation? I called two customer service numbers, but could not get through to a representative.

I reached out to customer service yesterday explaining the situation by Paypal message and the deactivation email, to request a second opinion. I don't think the limitation is permanent (not sure), but if it is, how is that reasonable without any forewarning or opportunity for me to provide additional info for appeal? This is frustrating and debilitating scrambling to find and setup another payment solution for customers. Thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@retfpc 

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a private direct message via Social Media on Facebook, Twitter/X, or Instagram pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

retfpc
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass thank you. I heard back from a representative via email/message, and they said their decision to limit my business account was final. I asked to get a second opinion or to get assistance understanding what my options are going forward, waiting again for a response. I'm not happy with this process at all so far, but I appreciate your suggestions.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@retfpc 

Unfortunately you can rarely appeal a permanent ban.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

retfpc
Contributor
Contributor

Are there examples of instances that have been successfully appealed and approved? What can I do to increase the chances of getting a second opinion to remove the limitation on my account?

Login to Me Too

walklingk
New Community Member

The same thing just happened to me and I am honestly disgusted with this company. I will never (and apparently can't ever) use PayPal again.

Login to Me Too

M0CH4_CUP
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing here, I had about 94 dollars after 3 days and they permanently banned me (I only received money, I didn’t spend). My bank account is connected to my PayPal and I’m worried that they’ll take money from my personal account for no reason. I called multiple times and they can’t do anything. Overall PayPal seems to be going downhill with how many times this keeps happening
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.