Victim of identify theft - HELP!

Emmaemcl
New Community Member

I have been the victim of identity theft. A bit of background: I noticed on a particular date that I had no mobile phone reception. My husband on the same network, did. I was on holiday and so was not too bothered. Visited a shop run by my network provider the next day and was issued with a new sim. I was told it would be operational within 24 hrs which it was not. I visited the shop again and was issued with a new sim which worked immediately. The person that sorted it for me noted that an eSim had been issued on the day I lost signal. I noticed within an hour my bank account was nearly empty, and loads of money was spent on Paypal from Argos Direct. I can only guess at this point that despite a complex password that Argos Direct was hacked which had my mobile number displayed as well as access to PayPal. I suspect my mobile phone was cloned. Hackers spent close to £8,000 on Paypal pay in 3 plans and Paypal Credit. They used this to buy expensive top of the range iPhones in three different locations in England. I am not resident in GB. The Paypal Credit is no longer showing (the operator I spoke to noted the spending was completely out of character and it is my understanding this was closed in my favour). I have logged a dispute about the remaining Pay in 3 plans, oddly one has been closed in my favour. The other (exact same but for different amount) has been closed in the seller's favour. I am going round in circles and do not have the means to afford any of this spending, nor will I be able to mentally cope if PayPal send bailiffs around to recoup the amount.  HELP!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.