Can't send funds to friends or family, nor to a business. Frustrated

Andy-730
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to send money to a friend in America. it's only $30, and i've tried using friends & family, but it fails saying "You can't transfer them payments" adding "Your recipient cant accept payments at the moment" I'm assured that there's no problem the far end, so i'm stuck...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Andy-730
Contributor
Contributor

I never did find a suitable solution to this strange behaviour from paypal. I voted with my feet and took my financial business  to a different money transfer system.

As a teacher once wrote on my report card "must try harder" Paypal has been great over the years, but you're only as good as your last transaction, and for me, it was dismal.

Solution not found.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Andy-730 

Ask if they have a business account, only business accounts can no longer accept friends/family payments.

Have you tried xoom instead?

https://www.xoom.com/

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Andy-730
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply...

My friend in USA only has paypal... i had a look at xoom.. turns out that i've used it before a few years back.

Sadly, my friend  is reluctant to change, so i'm kind of stuck.

What i don't understand is that i've another friend over there that i send funds to on a regular basis without problem.  I've tried sending a few times, and on one occasion i was told that "the country you're trying to send money to can't receive this payment" Now i find that very odd.

I think i'll give paypal a call in the morning as i need to get these funds transferred.

Thanks for your ideas! 🙂 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Andy-730 

You still didn't answer my question on whether your friend has a business account or not?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Andy-730
Contributor
Contributor

ah.. my mistake.. no, he doesn't have a business account.

But, there has been some progress in a negative way. I called paypal themselves and spent a good hour on the phone. I'm led to believe that it's not   possible to transfer funds from a paypal account to another account that is (according to the member of staff at paypal that i've talked with this AM) if, that person is in the outlaying areas of the states. He is in Cape Coral, Florida.

So, that was unsuccessful.

I've sent my mate an email asking him to send me a funds request to see if that works.

i'll report back either way.

thanks

Andy

Login to Me Too

vator
Contributor
Contributor

"The country you're trying to send money to can't receive this payment." 

I send a monthly friends/family payment to someone, it worked successfully for the first six months of the year, but the error started happening in July and continues to this day.  The sending & receiving accounts are both U.S.-based.  The only account change that has occurred is that the CC associated with my account expired and I had to update my CC information.

So PayPal: this is a problem with your service, it's happening to stateside folks as well.

The annoying part of this is that the error message assumes I am trying to send money to a different country when I am not.  The error message should label the country it thinks the payment is being sent to, or "unknown" if there is some back-end problem with how PayPal associates geographic locations with accounts (which I will bet is the real problem here)

Login to Me Too

vator
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal,

I try to send friends/family funds from domestic US account "A" to another domestic account "B", I get the error: "The country you're trying to send money to can't receive this payment."

But when "B" makes a payment request of "A" and "A" responds, it works perfectly, "B" gets the funds.

I should not have to be doing software QC for PayPal, this should be a standard test in a regression suite.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Andy-730
Contributor
Contributor

I never did find a suitable solution to this strange behaviour from paypal. I voted with my feet and took my financial business  to a different money transfer system.

As a teacher once wrote on my report card "must try harder" Paypal has been great over the years, but you're only as good as your last transaction, and for me, it was dismal.

Solution not found.

Login to Me Too

vator
Contributor
Contributor

Completely agree.

Xoom is Paypal so that one is out. 

Have to read more about wise.com

Login to Me Too

franknh

Paypal sucks .....they don't care now i move from paypal to wise.com

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.