Opened a dispute on grounds of " not as described" . Then discovered Item is actually faulty.

jimneycricket
Contributor
Contributor
Hi,

Any ideas what to do here?

I opened a paypal dispute over an ebay purchase on the basis that an item was not as described. 

Then subsequently I discovered that the item is faulty anyway. 

But if I lose my initial claim for "item not as descibed"?

Then I'm stuck with something I can't use and can't sell on.

What can I do here , can I open a second dispute on the same transaction ?  Or should I add this info about the fault to my initial "not as described " claim?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimneycricket 

Would have been better if you had opened an Ebay dispute first. Then Ebay makes the seller send you a postage label to return the goods.

If you win with paypal then you will have to send the goods back to the seller (trackable to prove delivery) before you get a refund.

Have you escalated the dispute to a claim yet? If not add as much information as  you can, DO NOT close it as you won't be able to re-open it or start a second dispute for the same transaction. If its a claim then contact customer services and ask them to add the extra information for you to the claim?

https://www.paypal.com/cshelp/article/how-do-i-contact-paypal-customer-service--HELP378

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jimneycricket
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.

I contact the seller on ebay and requested a return but they closed the return without comment.
I was of the belief that once that had happened there was nothing I could do.

So I went the paypal route.

I don't believe I have escalated to a claim so I will add the new information about the development that the machine has a fault.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimneycricket 

On Ebay when you open a dispute you can 'request a refund' but that is just saying you want to return for buyer remorse.

If you had scrolled down a bit further you could have opened one for item not as described and then the seller would have had to provide a return shipping label for you to return the item.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.