Critical IPN bug

jfyzhao
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just today, we stopped receiving IPNs on PayPal - has anyone else had this problem?

We've made no code changes and have been processing IPNs successfully for months now. Starting today, we noticed IPNs weren't getting sent to our endpoint when a customer makes a purchase, and when we check the IPN status it says that it is "Retrying". However, checking our server logs, I notice that PayPal didn't even send a POST to our IPN endpoint. I've also double checked that our server is up, and that our IPN endpoint is being passed correctly - again, no code changes and has beeen working correctly for several months until today. Has anyone else had this issue?  We're using the Adaptive Payments API btw.

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

bartobeast
New Community Member

Same exact issue here, IPN just keeps "retrying" it started a few hours ago.

Login to Me Too

riftcat
Contributor
Contributor

Same here with express checkout for digital goods. All IPNs are stuck at retrying. Nothing is POSTed to our server. IP is behind cloudflare. This is very disrupting and any advice would be great.

Login to Me Too

pp2017acc
Contributor
Contributor

I am a developer and one of my clients is having the exact same issue (started a few hours ago).

NO requests from PayPal to the endpoint, server up and running. Tried to re-send already processed IPN - working.

Tried to re-send already processed IPN - working.

Tried using the IPN tool - working

Double checked the code and it looks OK.

At the end, I've tried to stop/start the IPN notifications (inside PayPal settings) and one of the pending notifications get through.

Give it a try and let me know.

Login to Me Too

pp2017acc
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using CloudFlare?

Login to Me Too

backwards
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

We are also facing the same issue, store is on WooCommerce behind cloudflare free account. When an order is made and paid for the store isn’t receiving the usual message back from PayPal which would be “IPN payment completed” then “Order status changed from Pending payment to Processing.”

There has been no changes or updates on our end at all.

When viewing the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) history, its showing the message as “Retrying”

As soon as cloudflare is paused and a new order is put through and payment made status is sent and order changed to processing with message of “IPN payment completed” received. Old orders are also updated and marked as paid.

Cloudflare will stay paused until more info is learned about this bug.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

pp2017acc
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that pausing CloudFlare is a temporary fix.

Waiting for PayPal to clear the things up.

Login to Me Too

jfyzhao
Contributor
Contributor
We're not even using cloudlare though. We do have ssl enabled through dnsimple - I wonder what is taking PayPal so long to even acknowledge this issue....
Login to Me Too

backwards
Contributor
Contributor
We also have https SSL enabled on both cloudflare set to FULL and our own cert installed on our cPanel.
Login to Me Too

pp2017acc
Contributor
Contributor

Same here

Let's encrypt with FULL SSL in CloudFlare settings.

Tried changing to Flexible with no luck.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.