It is illogical to subject legacy members to add money to account that has negative PayPal balance!!

Thunder88
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal,

Declined Transactions because PayPal refuses to sent a request to my bank, because my PayPal account

has a negative balance. It was the policy that a PayPal account that had a negative balance, was still had

consummated transactions. As long as the PayPal business debit card was connected to a bank

account. For some strange reason that was never even mentioned prior to enactment, transactions 

are declined because there’s no funds in the PayPal account. That was not the policy for prior 

years. This new policy should not apply to legacy PayPal members.  Because it puts a unnecessary burden 

to now have to go in with auto-payments and change the card because if the PayPal account has a negative 

balance it will be declined. That’s ridiculous and obscured!! Restore to previous requirements which was even 

with a negative balance, the transaction should consummate as long as the PayPal card is connected to 

member’s checking account or bank debit card. My account is, so this needs to be restored immediately.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Thunder88
Contributor
Contributor

I called PayPal and talk with a supervisor. She informed me that as of September 12, 2023 this is PayPal’s policy. 
If your PayPal balance has nothing in it and you use PayPal business debit master card it will be declined. I told 

the representative that this is absurd, because my PayPal card is linked to my bank account. We legacy members 

should tell PayPal to reinstate the policy, that if nothing is on your PayPal card, and as long as it is connected to your bank 

it should not be declined. I’m switching to my bank debit card and I’m going to close my PayPal account. I don’t need 

their pettiness!!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

go2997

Are you sure this is a new policy? Do you have access to where this policy exists? I am having the same issue and was hoping that it was just an update where the settings switched and I could just change it back to the way I had it, but cannot locate the switch on my preferences anywhere. Keeps declining even tho I have a bank linked up. Hopefully someone figures out how to resolve soon.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Thunder88
Contributor
Contributor

I called PayPal and talk with a supervisor. She informed me that as of September 12, 2023 this is PayPal’s policy. 
If your PayPal balance has nothing in it and you use PayPal business debit master card it will be declined. I told 

the representative that this is absurd, because my PayPal card is linked to my bank account. We legacy members 

should tell PayPal to reinstate the policy, that if nothing is on your PayPal card, and as long as it is connected to your bank 

it should not be declined. I’m switching to my bank debit card and I’m going to close my PayPal account. I don’t need 

their pettiness!!

Login to Me Too

ivory49
Contributor
Contributor

Using PP has been smooth for a lot of years.  I've been trustworthy and have trusted PP.  I suppose I'll keep it for donations but when shopping I might as well switch to my debit card.  Why would I hassle with a double transaction when I just can use my bank's debit card?  I'll miss the little cash back I earn with PP though.

Login to Me Too

Thunder88
Contributor
Contributor

Ivory49,

This is PayPal’s way of making us close our accounts! Well it going to work for me. 
I started changing all my recurring payments to my bank 🏦 card. To hell with

paypal. I’m going to close this account after Friday. Good-by PayPal community. 

Login to Me Too

TheJillster

Without a balance,, recurring payments are billed to Paypal CREDIT so they can collect interest.
I dont have credit cards and dont want one,  and only used Paypal Credit sparingly. I feel like thier credit option is being forced on me.
Looking into other options now.

Login to Me Too

TheJillster

I called Paypal and asked if I would now have to put money on the balance to cover automatic payments for my streaming services,, etc. They confirmed that I would.
Lo and behold, my Microsoft account was paid this morning but was charged to Paypal CREDIT.
They've been spamming my mailbox for months to sign up for the Paypal Credit Card. 
This was all to collect interest on us all.

I mean,, who is going to be dilligent enough to transfer and tie up large sums of money monthly to their debit account? 

Login to Me Too

RealDanielBoone
New Community Member

I have same issue...been using PayPal Debit Card linked to my bank account for a long time...NOW BEING DECLINED.   Soooo, I called and get a voice robot that says effective Sept 12, 2023 the Debit Card will be declined if there is not a balance in the PayPal account....no more pulling from a linked bank. Wow...this is wonderful. Another change to customer's detriment the great puppet master makes...I'm sure they're doing this for our security...and BTW...anything else I can help you with. Certainly a step backwards....I don't need PayPal this bad, will use bank debit card and let them collect the big user fees.  I'm not going to get into manual transfers, that's so archaic in these modern software times.  If anyone has another suggestion, let me know.

Login to Me Too

Thunder88
Contributor
Contributor

RealDanielBoon,

This is PayPal’s way of making us close our accounts! Well it going to work for me. 
I started changing all my recurring payments to my bank 🏦 card. To hell with

paypal. I’m going to close this account after Friday. Good-by PayPal community. 

Login to Me Too

sickofmbamorons
New Community Member

PayPal member since 1999 - this is total BS and disrespectful. Glad they are hiring idiot college grads that were't alive when my account was created

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.